Skip to main content
Go to accessibility notice

    Description

    1979/80 O-Pee-Chee Hockey Unopened & Still Sealed Wax Box (48 packs) - Gretzky's Rookie Year! The holy grail of modern Basketball cards would be an unopened box of 1986 Fleer that contains the rookie card of Michael Jordan. A worthy equivalent in the modern era of hockey cards is this wax box - the 1979/80 O-Pee-Chee edition thanks to card #18 - the rookie card of the "Great One" Wayne Gretzky! Ask a million hockey card enthusiasts what box from the last 50 years would they want to own and the answer from 99% will be the 1979 O-Pee-Chee series. The remaining 1% will eventually admit their answer was wrong.

    The seemingly unassuming 8-1/8 x 7-1/4 x 2-1/2' box has been the home for the last 39 years to 48 unopened and wholly untouched by human hands 20-cent wax packs. The sales incentive of the day was the inclusion of cards of the four new NHL teams with Edmonton being one of the four. Inside each literally untouched gem are 14 cards including HoFers Gordie Howe (#175) and Bobby Hull (#185) plus numerous other stars and superstars, teams and League Leaders but none compare in value or historical significance to the rookie card of the 'Bobby Orr' of his era. One can only imagine how many possibly Mint or Gem MT condition cards these treasured packs could yield. With the popularity of Gretzky it is safe to say unopened material from this exclusively Canadian series is very scarce and immensely desirable.

    But this just isn't any box. Not only are the interior packs unopened, we are very happy to announce that the outer box is as well with the factory tape still intact. IT IS STILL SEALED! We have found with no other box brought to auction that can claim the same. In case it matters with such a possibly unique offering, the box does a bend in the top panel and 'dings' in two corners. It has been securely wrapped and given the label of approval by noted pack expert Steve Hart who confirmed its status with his notation, 'WAX BOX - TAPE INTACT!' This would make an amazing addition to any hockey collection.


    Auction Info

    Auction Dates
    July, 2018
    19th-20th Thursday-Friday
    Internet/Mail Bids: 16
    Lot Tracking Activity: N/A
    Page Views: 3,188

    Buyer's Premium per Lot:
    20% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.

    Sold for: Sign-in or Join (free & quick)

    Heritage membership

    Join Now - It's Free

    VIEW BENEFITS
    1. Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
    2. Bid online
    3. Free Collector newsletter
    4. Want List with instant e-mail notifications
    5. Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
      winnings 
    Consign now
    • Cash Advances
    • More Bidders
    • Trusted Experts
    • Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976

    Learn about consigning with us

    From the outset and my initial contact with you at Heritage I have been treated courteously. You have taken extra care in assuring me that the experience would be a positive one.
    Samuel Finz,
    Philomont, VA
    View More Testimonials

    Video tutorial

    Getting the most out of search

    Recent auctions

    2019 May 30  1915 Cracker Jack PSA Set Registry Auction - Dallas
    2019 May 30 1915 Cracker Jack PSA Set Registry Auction - Dallas
    REALIZED $1,406,927