Description1882 New York Giants Application to Join National League. The 2012 season will mark 130 years of existence for the club which brought professional baseball to the Big Apple, then gave rise to innumerable legends of the game from Buck Ewing, to Christy Mathewson, to Mel Ott, to Willie Mays to Barry Bonds. But it all began with these documents, submitted to National League president Arthur H. Soden during his single season of service to the Senior Circuit. The lot is comprised of three fascinating documents. In order of creation:
1) Application letter dated September 22, 1882, penned on The Continental Hotel, Philadelphia letterhead. It reads, "The New York Ball Club of N.Y. City hereby applies for League membership." The bottom of the application is signed by three National League officials including Soden. These signatures have faded but are still partially legible. On the reverse, the letter is receipted by League Secretary and future National League President, Nicholas Young, who wrote: "Metropolitan B.B.C. Application for League membership Rec'd, Sept. 22 '82" General handling wear with some small tears that do not threaten the structural integrity of the document. Dimensions 5x8".
2) A second application letter, dated November 12, 1882. It is written on a 4x5.5" lined page, and reads, "New York, Nov. 12, 1882, The New York Ball Club hereby applies for League membership." It is signed at the close by "John B. Day, Sec." and "Charles T. Dillingham, Sec'y & Treas." Minor toning, handling wear, no damage.
3) October 27, 1920 handwritten letter from the son of National League president Nicholas Young (served 1885-1902) to Charles Stoneham (owner New York Giants 1919-36) which reads, "In going over some old papers that belonged to my father recently, I found the original application of the New York Club for membership in the National League. It occurs to me that they may be of sentimental interest to you, and they are enclosed herewith, with my compliments." Original mailing folds, minor edge chipping, otherwise fine.
The opportunity to own seminal documents from one of the premier American sports franchises is not one to be taken lightly, nor one likely to surface again. Pre-certified by PSA/DNA. Auction LOA from James Spence Authentication.
View all of [The Seth Swirsky Collection ]
Shipping, Taxes, Terms and Bidding
Calculate Standard Domestic Shipping
Sales Tax information | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Bids + Registered Phone Bidders: 9
Lot Tracking Activity: N/A
Page Views: 918
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
19.5% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
Viewing at %
Please enter a value between % and 100% and press your "Enter" key. CloseFit to screen View Full Size Brightness
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
I just wanted to let you know how thrilled I am with the results of the auction. Friday night was a blast. I had a hard time sleeping I was so pumped up.View More Testimonials
2018 November 15-16 Fall Sports Card Catalog Auction