Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - July 31, 2014
Signed Ticket From Lou Gehrig's July 4, 1939 'Luckiest Man' Retirement Speech Brings $95,600 At AuctionOnly signed ticked from the "saddest day in Yankees history," brings $95,600 in Heritage Auctions July 31, 2014 Platinum Night Sports Auction, at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Cleveland, OH
"It was on July 4, 1939, that Gehrig, one of the most beloved and talented baseball players in history, retired from baseball, due to complications from ALS, with the immortal words '...today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth'" said Chris Ivy, Director of Sports Auctions at Heritage. "Of the more than 60,000 tickets sold for that game, only two have survived that we know of and only one signed by Gehrig himself. It's safe to say that this is the most significant baseball ticket in the world."
It was purchased by a collector who did not wish to be identified.
The signature is the only Gehrig autograph that can be definitively dated to his July 4, 1939 farewell.
Throughout his Hall of Fame career, death, taxes and Lou Gehrig proved to be the three certainties of life through 14 seasons of American League baseball. He would be part of six World Championships, make six All-Star appearances (not including an honorary seventh in 1939), win two MVP Awards and win baseball's Triple Crown in 1934.
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976