Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - February 26, 2018
Multiple World Records Shattered in Heritage Auctions’ $9.3M Winter Platinum Night Event
The only known Hank Aaron game used rookie bat dwarfed the standing world record for Hank's hammers, selling for $132,000 price — nearly quadrupling the former auction price realized. Mel Ott lumber likewise found a new champion as a rookie gamer set a world record when it more than doubled the former record with a $168,000 result. In addition, Johnny Unitas' 1959 championship game jersey narrowly topped the standing record for postwar NFL models (likewise held by Heritage) selling for $96,000.
Rare and high-grade trading cards remained red-hot, with a red portrait T206 Ty Cobb with Ty Cobb back (PSA VG+ 3.5) leading the way at $408,000. Rookie cards of Stan Musial (1948 Leaf #4, PSA Mint 9) set a $312,000 world record, and a Joe Namath (1965 Topps #122, PSA Mint 9) followed close behind at $264,000, setting a world record for the card.
Autographed material likewise exhibited enduring fortitude, with a world record $78,000 result for a Mickey Mantle signed example of his 1952 Topps rookie card. A PSA/DNA Mint 9 single-signed Babe Ruth baseball also set a world record in that grade with a final tally of $228,000 — the highest price paid for a Mint 9 example.
Other notable results include:
· $400,800: 1920-22 Babe Ruth Game Used Bat with Polo Grounds Bat Exhibition Provenance, PSA/DNA GU 10
· $246,000: 1936-38 Lou Gehrig Game Used Bat, PSA/DNA GU 9
· $168,000 WORLD RECORD: 1902 W600 Sporting Life Honus Wagner Street Clothes Type 1 PSA VG+ 3.5
· $144,000: 1903 World Series Game Eight Program
· $120,000: 1953 Mickey Mantle World Series Game Used Bat, PSA/DNA GU 10
· $90,000: 1934 Jimmie Foxx Game Used Bat with Family Provenance, PSA/DNA GU 9
· $66,000 WORLD RECORD: 1973 Tom Seaver World Series Game Worn & Signed New York Mets Jersey from Cy Young Season
· $57,600 WORLD RECORD: 1923 New York Yankees Team Signed Baseball with Lou Gehrig
· $43,200 WORLD RECORD: 1948 "The Babe Bows Out" Pulitzer Prize-Winning Original Photograph, PSA/DNA Type 1, believed to be the actual first print used for newspaper publication
Heritage Auctions' Sports Department has a full slate this spring with important catalog auctions set April 19-20 and May 10-11. To learn more these events and more, visit Heritage Auctions' Sports Online Portal.
Heritage Auctions is the largest fine art and collectibles auction house founded in the United States, and the world's largest collectibles auctioneer. Heritage maintains offices in New York, Dallas, Beverly Hills, San Francisco, Chicago, Palm Beach, London, Paris, Geneva, Amsterdam and Hong Kong.
The Internet's most popular auction-house website, HA.com, has over one million registered bidder-members and searchable free archives of four million past auction records with prices realized, descriptions and enlargeable photos. Reproduction rights routinely granted to media for photo credit.
Eric Bradley, Public Relations Director
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
I am completely satisfied, more to the point, absolutely ecstatic, about not only the proceeds but the wonderful professional manner every aspect of my little consignment was handled.View More Testimonials