Trusts & Estates
Heritage Auctions Trusts & Estates Department is always available to assist you with any questions you might have as you prepare your collection for your estate.
It is important to know the true current fair market value of your collection. Insurance appraisals are usually not realistic representations of what will actually be realized when a collection is sold. Request a written fair market value appraisal for "Estate Planning" purposes — or consult with Heritage experts for an informal valuation of your collection.
Coins For Beginners
Coins For Numismatists
Other - Contact Us Now
The Importance of Planning
Here at Heritage, collecting is our passion, but there's nothing more important than family. While for some of us, our hobby is a family affair, quite often families have little interest in our collections, and even less knowledge of the collectibles market. Hundreds of times a year our consignment directors are contacted by the widows and children of deceased collectors because they have been made aware of Heritage's superior standing in the market. We also know of individuals who have purchased collections for pennies on the dollar because an estate was undervalued and improperly marketed by a seller incapable of commanding top prices. We invite you to take a few simple steps to ensure that the value of your own collection is maximized for your heirs and beneficiaries — and ultimately that your legacy wishes are fulfilled.
Estate Planning Resources:
In just a few minutes' time, you can take a crucial step toward ensuring that your loved ones and philanthropic interests are protected for the future. The resources and sample documents below are provided for your reference and have been tailored by other collectors for their estate plan. A version of one of these signed document in your safe deposit box, or on file with your lawyer, could be of critical importance to your loved ones or charitable pursuits. We strongly recommend consulting with an estate attorney or estate planning professional to ensure that your wishes are clearly fulfilled.
- Directive to Heirs or Beneficiaries — Clear expression of your wishes as to how you would like your collection handled as part of your Estate.
- Will codicil (16kb PDF file) — An addition to your Will, specifically directing your heirs, benefactors, trustees or executors to a chosen venue for sale of your collection. This is only a sample codicil and should be revised by an attorney.
- Directive Letter — expresses more informally your wishes to consult with Heritage Auctions for appraisal, sales and provides inventories of the collections and locations.
Free Trusts & Estates Newsletter — To receive with our compliments Heritage's Trusts & Estates Newsletter, which is designed to provide the T&E community with up-to-date news and commentary related to your mission and ours, e-mail your contact information to
Estates@HA.com, call 1-800-872-6467, or fax to 214-443-8425.
- Helpful Articles from Heritage's Trusts & Estates Newsletter
- Selling Your Collection in advance of your passing — There are many reasons to consider selling your collection yourself:
- My Collection — Use Heritage's own "My Collection" system to inventory and manage your collection. Free to all registered members.
- The Collector's Handbook As a collector, you know your collection inside and out. But, do your potential heirs? In clear, practical terms, industry veterans James L. Halperin and Gregory J. Rohan provide you with invaluable guidance on how to:
Completely revised and updated to include the most recent federal tax law changes and new information on collectibles and charitable planning. The Collector's Handbook will help you protect your investment. Wherever your motivations in collecting, this book will help make you a more intelligent collector.
- Document your collection
- Safeguard your collection
- Evaluate your collection
- Sell your collection
- Minimize taxes upon transfer
- Make the most effective charitable gift
- Help your heirs ... and much more.
Buy The Collector's Handbook or email Estates@HA.com to request a free copy
|For Estate Planning Professionals, Executors, Estate Attorneys, Trustees, Family Managers, Wealth Advisors, CPAs — We know the importance of having a realistic, complete and of the true value of your client's art and collectible tangible holdings. Their collections may have considerable value and be an important asset of their estate. Often in areas of collecting — such as Comic Books and Sports Memorabilia — significant values have been overlooked. Please feel free to incorporate into your clients' Estate Plan some of the sample documents and resources presented on this website. Heritage's Trusts & Estates Department is always available to assist with the valuation, appraisal or sale of your clients' single items or complicated multi-faceted estate collections.|
Please contact us here or at Estates@HA.com